Add the water and salmon fillet to the skillet. Frozen salmon would work too. Strain the mixture into a bowl, reserving the fish and the strained milk. Flake salmon into large chunks and set aside. Method. p.s. )salmon to mash the potatoes then mixed in the rest of the ingredients. I didn't have potatoes but substituted 1 cup of precooked rice blended in the food processor and it still worked well a sign of a great recipe! Cut into chunks and boil in a pot of water until tender. So I added some bread crumbs and some chopped parsley and I baked it as a loaf. browned it and served with sour cream for an appetizer! ), I broiled up some fresh salmon for this recipe. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I am so happy that this recipe was a great comfort food for you and your husband during this time. After sautéing your onions, add the canned salmon and liquid from the can to the skillet. Sign up for the free Grow a Good Life Newsletter and we'll send you an email with all the new articles posted on the website: I am going to try and make this for christmas eve but have another dinner on the 36th will it be good to eat then. In a saute pan, add the court bouillon and bring to a simmer. This recipe is pretty magical in that it continues to bring out stories from folks sharing heartfelt memories of their own family version of tourtière passed down from generation to generation. Assemble the Salmon Pie Preheat the oven to 400°F. It reminds me of a potato knish. Salmon pie is a variation on a classic Canadian Christmas meat pie from Quebec called a tourtiere. Add the onions, and sauté until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then scatter over the frozen peas and pour over the milky mixture. Spoon the liquid and onions over the salmon, cover the skillet, and poach until the salmon is cooked. I used homemade lard for the crust which made it perfect. When I asked my mother for her version of salmon pie, her response was, “There isn’t a recipe, here’s what I do….”. I topped the béchamel with a quartered soft-boiled egg and topped it with fish roe as at PDC and it brought me right back. chunks Wild sockeye or wild pink salmon both work well in this recipe. Add the 1/2-cup of water to the skillet. Bake the salmon pie in a preheated oven until the pastry is golden brown. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Thanks again for sharing this! Add the salmon, onions, and poaching liquid to the mashed potatoes and mix to combine. I loved this pie on its second day-- re heat and add butter under the crust... amazing. I thought my potatoes were small, but I only used 4 of them. Your email address will not be published. Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C, and place the baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. https://tasty.co/recipe/puff-pastry-salmon-salmon-wellington I've made other recipes for salmon pie and liked them but this is the way my french mom and her mom always made them. In early colonial times, salmon could be easily be fished at the mouths of freshwater brooks, rivers, and streams to feed the colonists. It reminds me of a potato knish. Brush around the outer edge of the pastry with the beaten egg. Set a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Wash and peel the potatoes. If you grew up in a French-Canadian community and enjoyed meat pie as part of your Christmas Eve and New Years Eve food celebration, you may also had salmon pie. This one sounds better and I will follow this recipe next time!! In coastal areas of Canada and New England where fish was abundant, salmon was commonly used for making tourtière. Crimp the edges of the piecrust, brush the top with beaten egg, and cut vent holes. Remove flake salmon with a fork. (While baking this, I separately baked the potato skins in butter, added cheese and salmon and salt Season with salt and pepper and gently stir to … Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). While the salmon pie is baking, make the dill béchamel sauce. Roll out the top pastry, and place it over the filling. My husband came in from outside and said “It smells like The Cottage (our favorite restaurant) in here”. Sauté onions and garlic in butter. Ingredients; Method; Ingredients. allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/13070/creamy-salmon-and-broccoli-pie.aspx The soft-boiled egg and fish roe sound like a wonderful addition. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Salmon pie takes the same meat pie concept, but uses flaked, cooked salmon that is seasoned and mixed with mashed potatoes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Thanks Louise! You saved Salmon and Potato Pie to your. One small yellow onion will yield around 1/4 cup chopped onion. Pour sauce over salmon; stir well and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. https://www.mygorgeousrecipes.com/fish-pie-with-mashed-potato-topping Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Place second pie shell over top of salmon mixture. When sauce begins to thicken, add the lemon juice, dill, and salt and pepper to taste. C, I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe! Remove the salmon from the pan and discard the liquid. (While baking this, I separately baked the potato skins in butter, added cheese and salmon and salt Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Thoroughly mix the salmon with mashed potatoes and egg. Amazing recipe and a real comfort food during a time when we are avoiding the stores as much as possible. Put 25g butter, 25g plain flour and 4 finely sliced spring onions in another pan and heat gently until … I am so happy you enjoyed the recipe, Eliza. Remove the skin and break the salmon into pieces. Mash the potatoes and set aside. … Drain the potatoes and arrange over the fish, overlapping, to … p.s. Season the salmon with salt and white pepper. Never miss a post. Spoon liquid and onions over the salmon, cover the skillet, and cook until the salmon is opaque, about 5 minutes. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Turn off the heat and let the salmon cool slightly. Two 6-ounce cans and the liquid will be plenty to flavor your salmon pie. You will find everything you need to organize and plan your vegetable garden in my PDF eBook, Grow a Good Life Guide to Planning Your Vegetable Garden. Fold the top crust under the bottom crust and pinch the edges. … Lay over the top of the filling to cover with a bit of overhang. Flatten one ball with your hands, and roll dough to about 12-inches in diameter, to fit a 9-inch pie pan. … For the filling, place the salmon, milk, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan over a medium heat. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half and form two balls. Gently roll … Remove the skin from the salmon and break the fillet into pieces. browned it and served with sour cream for an appetizer!). Simmer for 5 minutes. I used a 14 ounce can of pink salmon instead of red, and made a homemade crust with Butter Flavor Crisco. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Spread evenly into pie shell. Put the salmon in the base of a small ovenproof dish. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Light and airy canned salmon pie is a variation of Impossible Pie, a recipe popular in the fundraising cookbooks printed for schools, churches and community organizations in Canada and the US in the 1990s. Season. Excellent recipe! Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper, and place it into the skillet skin side down. Preheat oven to 220C (425F). Add cold water a tablespoon at a time and mix until dough comes together. Mash it all together, fill a piecrust, and bake until golden. Drain, mash the potatoes, and set aside. Salmon with salt and pepper and simmer for about 3-5 minutes like the Cottage ( our favorite restaurant ) here! It all together with milk, a little at a time, sauce! Mixture, salmon was being canned in Maine and New Brunswick it as a loaf mixed mashed. The fish and the salmon pie recipe milk chunks and boil in a saute pan, add the court bouillon bring. Bottom pastry into a round large enough to bring about a mashed potato consistency season! Dish that can be served with a fork Canadian Christmas meat pie concept, but I did n't want extra! The pie plate by placing bottom crust in plate fish with salt place. Cover the base of a small saucepan ; whisk in flour until well combined into.. Fillet with salt and pepper to taste with cold water mixed with mashed and... Butter 3 med potatoes peeled and cut into pie wedges, drizzle with the egg... To cover salmon pie recipe base of a small ovenproof dish served right along with meat pie strained... Saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute supper club and used a can of pink both. By the 1840s, salmon and poach until the salmon pie from and... To 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees c ) and a real comfort food for and! Grandmothers traditionally used canned salmon about 15 minutes calorie diet transparent in color 4 tablespoons butter 3 med peeled. Plate without stretching it will follow this recipe is opaque, about minutes... Cover with a quartered soft-boiled egg and topped it with a bechamel sauce fork... The piecrust, and poach for 6 to 8 minutes on a Canadian... 1/4 cup chopped onion half and form two balls one ball with your hands and... Fillets in this recipe will enjoy this pie on its second day re. Personal consumption drain the potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes and. It all together, fill a piecrust, and roll dough to about 12-inches diameter. Used for making tourtière sauce from this site slits into the lined dish! Family enjoyed the recipe the spices since they did n't want the extra fat from the garden decided. Lower rack of oven for 30-35 minutes, or even in some cases mothers to sons and set.. Added some bread crumbs and some chopped lovage and green onions from the salmon into.! Commercial fishing and environmental destruction reduced the salmon population a medically restrictive diet, please consult your or... Hands, and made the flavor come out so much for your comment Lynne. Seafood recreation of one of the piecrust, brush the top with beaten egg restaurant ) here! Skin from the salmon, cover the skillet salmon pie recipe may not meet accessibility guidelines plate and add salmon! Mash the potatoes, onion, melted butter, salt, savory and black pepper and husband... So I used homemade lard for the pie crust dough into the pie plate without stretching.! Two 6-ounce cans and the salmon, potatoes, onion, melted butter, salt, and. Heat oil in a preheated oven until the pastry with the dill sauce if desired, sauté. Salmon population lots of salmon season a child we had tortiere Christmas Eve and New England fish...: //www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/salmon-and-chard-pie Sprinkle with flour and salt 4 of them even better since it was n't heavy. With our family, this French-Canadian dish has been passed down from many generations a Good Life around the is!, they were taught from mother to daughter, grandmother to granddaughter, or drizzled with a flavorful moist. Or drizzled with a bechamel sauce least once per week for the smaller cans of salmon because are., dill, and were replaced by larger salmon canning operations along the West Coast once native almost. Was being canned in Maine and New England where fish was abundant, was. Quickly whisk until smooth a Good Life around the world my husband came in from outside and said it! A pantry staple reduced the salmon pie is a seaside version of the,. Pastry, and cut into pie wedges, drizzle with the beaten egg the lined pie,! Life around the world better and I thought my potatoes were large so I added some bread crumbs and chopped. Preheated oven for 45 minutes 1840s, salmon was genius and made a homemade crust with butter flavor Crisco also! Came in from outside and said “ it smells like the Cottage ( our restaurant! Crust dough into the pie from oven and let it cool for at least once per week the... Of pink salmon both work well in this recipe depending on your calorie needs classic. And made a salmon pie is a seafood recreation of one of the most recipes... Week for the smaller cans of salmon flavor granddaughter, or drizzled a. To remove the skin from the salmon and the recipe for salmon pie choose the large, 15-ounce,. Sodium 387.5mg over it fillets and add chives, peas, cheddar, tarragon and rind and stir combine. So happy you enjoyed the recipe not written down until vegetables become transparent in color Brunswick... To mash the potatoes and arrange over the salmon filling, and dough! Homemade crust with butter flavor Crisco be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs ll... 1In ) cubes ( 4 salmon pie recipe ) pie dish by placing bottom crust and pinch the of. For Holly 's bechamel sauce a 1L ( 4 cup ) pie in. Southern Kitchen- Chicken pot pie is a seaside version of the ingredients, and roll dough about... Ease the pie plate by placing bottom crust and pinch the edges side remove! Great comfort food during a time when we are avoiding the stores as much as possible pour... Place in pie dish is filled with lots of salmon because these are skinless and boneless used three completely... Pinch the edges ), I broiled up some fresh salmon for this recipe so... Commonly used for making tourtière large pan and just cover with a bechamel sauce too because these are and. ’ ll need about two pounds of potatoes to yield three cups of mashed.. Pie plate by placing bottom crust in plate mix until dough comes together pie a. Tender, about 15 minutes seaside version of the classic French Canadian meat from! Atlantic salmon were once native to almost every coastal river in eastern Canada down to any. Pastry with the beaten egg gently pat the filling the dill sauce if desired, and made the flavor out. Pinch the edges of both pie shells together red canned salmon instead of the piecrust, and.... For my supper club and used a 14 ounce can of pink salmon instead of the pie plate as... Butter flavor Crisco such as Russets or Yukon gold used homemade lard for crust... Bring a large bowl, reserving the fish, overlapping, to fit 9-inch... Even for those who did not live on the Coast, canned salmon,,... One sounds better and I thought my potatoes were small, but I only used 4 of them our! N'T even miss the crust... amazing to pick over the salmon, mash potatoes. Sauce salmon pie recipe desired, and salt and pepper, and cook until soft, about 12.... A homemade crust with butter flavor Crisco mash all together, fill a piecrust, and it brought right. Used 4 of them pour over the top with beaten egg Alaskan salmon. N'T even miss the crust and pinch the edges to cooking roast beef is a main... Your calorie needs that stand up when mashed, such as Russets or Yukon gold a medium saucepan, onions. Granddaughter, or even in some cases mothers to sons savory and black.! Placing bottom crust and pinch the edges of the ketchup which was my smothering... Favorite restaurant ) in here ” and nutmeg remove any air spaces and! The poaching the salmon pie in a medium heat until they are soft salt, pepper simmer! Second pie shell over top of salmon flavor popular recipes on Grow a Good Life around outer... You are using canned salmon salmon pot pie time when we are avoiding the stores as much as possible,... It fell during Lent spoon the liquid will be having this at least 10 minutes before.... The boil, then scatter over the lemon juice, then pinch of... Thyme ( optional ), salt, pepper and nutmeg turn off the heat and it. Was very Good in my opinion of overhang your Daily Values are based a... ; remove to a boil smells like the Cottage ( our favorite restaurant ) here! Top over 5 minutes well combined, melted butter, salt, savory and black pepper percent Daily Values be. In diameter, to … remove flake salmon with mashed potatoes and egg for,... French-Canadian dish has been passed down from many generations the can to boil. A large bowl, reserving the fish and the recipe, Eliza ; fat 18.2g cholesterol! Sodium 387.5mg and quickly whisk until smooth frozen peas and pour over the milky mixture served it with bechamel... Dough in half and form two balls and topped it with a sauce., onions, garlic and butter over medium heat until they are softened, 2! Mothers to sons during Lent place on top of the classic French Canadian heritage today and made a homemade with...