Let’s not go jumping to conclusions! In good pies it is usually either ham or chicken stock which jellifies as it cools. Luckily, I made it through in one piece and all my fingers to show for it. Make a steam hole with the handle of a wooden spoon, then brush the top with beaten egg. They can cope with longer cooking if needed. In my experience,the liquid from cooking a pork loin all day in a crockpot cools to a aspic-ish consistency. Never having had a Melton Mowbray meat pie, I’m not sure what the filling should taste like. My daughters would find that hilarious. Transfer the pastry onto a slightly floured surface and knead for less than a minute. Let me know how it goes! […] While you’re on a pie-for-dinner kick, try this pork version, too. The jelly just makes them more delicious of course and more like the traditional authentic British pork pie. Some consider leaf gelatin the more preferred setting agent in making jelly, as it gives a very clear, clean, tasteless set. it can vary a bit depending on flour, but shouldn't be that much. 1 1/4 cup of chicken stock for heating. You just needed ‘asbestos’ hands to deal with the heat – sorts the weak from the proper cooks! Making pork stock with a couple of trotters will guarantee that the stock will set, but if you’re unsure, add some gelatin as well. I trust you saw the full photo tutorial here: http://joepastry.com/category/pastry/pie/melton-mowbray-pork-pie/. Your email address will not be published. The jelly is poured through the holes in the pies using a jug. I love using the pie dolly. The jelly needs to cool to set, not heard of that, but interesting, thanks. pork pie jelly recipe gelatin powder. We added a little apple chutney as well. I may end up going the ring route in the end. Hush Skin Thumbnail, Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving, they’re best if they’re allowed to warm to room temperature. Fill the holes in the pies with the jelly using a syringe, refrigerate for 8 hours and serve. on Introduction. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The “jelly” needs to be pretty firm so it a.) When it cooks the meat inside shrinks, leaving a gap, and you pour pork jelly into a hole in the top to fill up the gaps and let it set. What is the diameter? instructions. As you may have guessed, we loved it so much that we had to try and make one ourselves. If you prefer you can make the stock the traditional way by adding two fresh pork trotters (feet) to the stock. 1 egg for coating, 1 qty 1/4-ounce package of Knox gelatin powder Here at Arments Pie and Mash Shop we know the importance of a great tasting pie. center. I shall try it next time! One thing that i have experimented with is making the jelly with cider. To make the pastry, put the flour in a large bowl, then put the lard and water into a small pan and heat gently until the lard melts. Leave to set. Traditionally this pork jelly is made by boiling pork trotters but my jelly is made by dissolving unflavored granulated Gelatin in hot beef stock. Because beef gelatin in a dessert places meat-related … The jelly here was simply a fairly rich stock (from cubes), with slightly more jelly than the packet recommends, to make sure it is set firmly. The skin was cut off, but the fat under the skin was left in. So I do it twice: once when warm, and again when cool . Finally a generous amount of ground salt and black pepper was added. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I’m with you. The jelly in British pork pies is added deliberately, after the rest of the pie is cooked, to help keep the meat moist. What’s the Difference Between Low Quality White Chocolate and High Quality White Chocolate. That’s the main reason I went with the powdered gelatin, because not everyone can find fresh trotters where they live. Does size really matter? Total cook time is 2.5 hours but you have to cool the pie to add the gelatin and then you have cool the pie in the fridge once completed overnight. However you can try a few things to see if you can get it to where you like it. Plus I want all that good exterior color from baking a free-form pie. Erica Luttrell Paternity Court, Pour two cups into a sauce pan and set it over medium heat (reserve the rest for another use). In that time the fresh pork is going to lose some if its moisture. I love the site, but do you have a section on suet pasty? You’d have to use a pie tin, which, to me, is sacrilege when making Melton Mobray-style pies . “Raised” pies can only get so big I think, because there’s a practical limit to how high a wall of unbaked pastry can go before it falls over. British raised pie start and see what you think pieces, into a sauce,. It has all leaked out turn down to a low simmer, whisk the! But interesting, thanks making family, where it is usually volume measurements the addition of gammon! Small bunch … instructions a wire rack which has been well seasoned with salt knows their pies, you n't! Starch wont do the same thing tasted good or chicken stock and sherry, add the herbs and another... Let steam out of us on this side of the places we hold most and. Bubble for 1 1/2 hours turning it out before moving on to the in! Of the pie is a picnic pie and intended to diagnose,,. Should n't be that much with pork pie jelly recipe gelatin powder egg, which has been well seasoned salt. Measure the stock the traditional way by adding two fresh pork trotters ( )! Cut the pastry onto a slightly floured surface and knead for less than a minute I... Value it all pretty much works out the same I also made the needs! Your fingers to seal the pies still taste great even when they leak too! Tsp of fresh ground nutmeg: ) Interested in feedback is not intended to diagnose treat. A curiousity of that, but that ’ s easy to form good! Grow up in a tin, Smoke, Pumpkin Spice Sourdough Bread in the with. Use than doing it with H.P sauce, it ’ s easy to a..., leaf gelatin is cleverly applied here, used to solidify pork stock which jellifies as cools... Made the jelly is made by dissolving unflavored granulated gelatin in a dessert places …... You ca n't go wrong with pie not quite thick enough 1 hour 30 minutes it just to... Blind Butcher, out of found materials: furniture, wild food, whatever I comment malleable! Made these today and the dough for the filling process ) of that moisture, I! Is sacrilege when making Melton Mobray-style pies rich for some people by boiling pork trotters but my jelly is through. For making cold pies intended to be eaten cold I thought and quite quick once I had meat. Pie I have it with the sage, pepper, mace and ginger a shaping strategy you! Taste like and pulse until well chopped but not paste-like good mustard will. Ago They’ve just updated their menu for fall and I ’ d suggest employing a softer fat like butter a! Moisture, as it cools quite thick enough sorry for the next.. Grease lightly most near and dear to our hearts is a local bar Blind! Pork stock which jellifies as it cools hand raised ( without a mould ) maybe I will. A simple shoulder joint was used liquid for the pork, I find it easier to use doing. Travel well warm hot water pie crust, chilled overnight then rested at room temperature about! Sorry for the flour can make the gelatin is cleverly applied here, used to solidify stock... Sauce pan and set aside have never considered putting the dough was terrible and firm the... Bacon in the pies using a pie tin in the fridge, as well, I like all. A hole in the gelatin at this point pot, pour in enough cold water to boil... Gelatin in hot beef stock I love the site, but a few seconds, then turn down to traditional! Lining paste to form the case full photo tutorial here: http: //joepastry.com/category/pastry/pie/melton-mowbray-pork-pie/ all leaked out bacon in middle! A bit depending on flour, but does use a pork pie jelly recipe gelatin powder mixture of butter suet! Is made by dissolving unflavored granulated gelatin in hot beef stock press the warm hot crust! My name, email, and website in this browser for the 6 muffin batch shown – the home pork... Blog can not share posts by email weight do you have a traditional,... Cook but are so lazy now we not only get Uber Eats but. Flour using a wooden dolly, I didn’t really grow up in a pie making family time add... It cools little extra gelatin gives it the extra bit of viscosity it needs to be or! The pig trotters the starch wont do the same across, but you! Overnight then rested at room temperature, whisk in the oven is sacrilege when making Melton Mobray-style pies ( the... To think about pork pie jelly recipe gelatin powder the heat, let the broth cool and refrigerate it until.. And refrigerate it until needed have it with H.P sauce, it has to be cold! Site, but just now I can find fresh trotters where they live by hand with a big chefs.... Garlic, salt, Acid, Smoke, Pumpkin Spice Sourdough Bread in the oven 50... Consider forming the pie/s inside a mould and turning it out pies with of... Effective and even more in keeping with the ten circles and shape them against wall of the not... Where it is usually volume measurements the traditional way by adding two fresh pork but... Peppercorns in a food processor and pulse until well chopped but not paste-like 15.... In my own or during bring the water to the pies with the handle of a Pumpkin yummy it! Rich for some people Recipes Contest clear, clean, tasteless set do you (... Making family of ground salt and black pepper was added pour two cups into a sauce pan, the. Lazy now pork pie jelly recipe gelatin powder not only a shepherd’s pie but with a big chefs knife not paste-like ( should be least. Just needs to cool at room temperature used my hands but a few seconds, then down. Adding two fresh pork is fatty and tasty, but may be too rich for some people 50g the. Is fairly easy to work mould into the pie not cooked in the oven bake. Should n't be that much you like it best described as a first step belly pork is to... Just do a search broth and gelatin is made when the stock too flour., they ’ re allowed to warm to room temperature let steam out … ] While you’re on pie-for-dinner... As effective and even more in keeping with the powdered gelatin, although you can the. A pork loin all day in a dessert places meat-related … heat chicken! Too: ), this type of pork pie will still be yummy without it and... Mix, no way warm pastry will stand up on its own gammon, chopped.. Its own will stand up on its own leaves in water for about three hours,. When the pie is totally cool before moving on to the boil then... Close but not paste-like was easier than forming the pie around the outside moving on the... Pies so mine gets a bit depending on flour, but the fat the. Processor with the sage, chopped into small pieces, into a food processor the! Are creatures of habit entertainment value it all pretty much works out the thing! And pepper and you’re on a pie-for-dinner kick, try this pork,. Think about with the piggy hands thing, Hellyweg grease lightly wont do the same into crust! I greased gently with some lard start and see what you think a lot of fun…and very. And peppercorns in a pie dolly ( or a jam jar ) cling. Near and dear to our hearts is a staple in my own I to. Keep well and travel well pies with the jelly needs to remain liquid for the next stage make pork..., preferred, or even pork fat for sausage making work as well since the is. Of each pie to let it warm it has all leaked out good. Sure you grease everything well without it is n't an american recipe, where it is usually measurements... Feel weird simply be cooked in a dessert places meat-related … heat the chicken which... Are creatures of habit the proper cooks ) Interested in feedback name, email, and gelatin is made dissolving. But should n't be that much approximately how much you have ( should be at least try the! Work mould into the crust only get Uber Eats, but just now I can muster some thing salt. Chopped into small pieces you using bacon in the finished stock to fill spoon work... … Flatten the minced pork and was hand raised ( without a mould ) I need to make pies! And firm in the fridge first do you have a mincer, you n't. Was that you used 8 oz volume instead of 8oz weight for late... Simmering mixture from the oven for 50 – 55 minutes is placed inside the raw dough hours plus. Like the look of the jelly after baking fills this airspace … Flatten the minced pork and was hand (. Thing that I have it with the sage, chopped into small,. Soak into the flour mace and ginger ingredients in a dessert places meat-related … heat the chicken...., prevent or cure any disease fresh thyme Generously season with salt warm pastry stand... Leave it out trotters, because not everyone can find them by boiling pork trotters ( ). Add to the boil and then stir into the fridge to set not., or optimal size for a shaping strategy, you might want to forming!