Cover … Don't hesitate to say a small "hello!". No one fruit cake is equal and the texture may differ depending on whose making it. Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. Pardon the use of my patois but… Shi trick mi! Then I let it sit for a full year before baking. It tastes just like the one my granny used to make. The amount of calories I must have burnt trying the make the butter and sugar “light and fluffy”! Grease a 12 inch baking tin and scrape the ingredients in. Remove It was during this time that the Jamaican Black Cake was born. A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007. Recommended! New! Jamaican Black Fruit Cake Ingredients via graciehalpern. Combine in a bowl, 6 oz all-purpose sifted flour, 6 oz plain bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbs baking powder, 1 tbs baking soda, and cinnamon, 2 tbs ground ginger, 1 tbs mixed spice, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp ground cloves. My hope is that you will love this recipe and share it with friends and family. Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. Hello Wellesley,  thank you  for your new Year wish - same to you and your family. Have Your Say| Please note: Most Jamaicans soak their fruits in rum for days, for some people, months or even years! In fact, not only that, it is quite simple as well. and universities. ; It's normal for the cake to have a few small cracks they tend close as the cake cools down. Add breadcrumbs and lime rind, and mix in well. 2 tsp vanilla Sift together the first five dry ingredients. By December 25, 2019 10:59AM (UTC) TY MECHAM (Ty Mecham)--Shares. Loves nature, healthy food, and good coffee. “Nemonie cream the butter in the sugar for me.”. Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day. Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YoutubeThank You! Traditional Jamaican snacks are beyond scrumptious and they are finally getting their highlight. Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). All rights reserved. efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications, Share this awesome content with your friends now. Black cakes can be made in various ways, some soak the dried fruits for a year others soak it for days to weeks. Click Here to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you'll love it! I have fruits soaking in my kitchen cupboard that Nana left there for at least three years and its delicious! efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications, This dessert, in true Jamaican fashion, is full of spices and dried fruits. What are the Jamaican Christmas traditions? Every year Caribbean folks dust off the baking pan and bake their black cake. Let cool then use it to blend prunes and cherries. I was so excited because I had watched my older sisters doing this a million times to make black cake! In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the wine or brandy together. This sweet and rum infused cake is what makes Christmas so special. Heat oven to 250 degrees. Click Here to see how. Was the information helpful? Site Search| Add the dates, figs, 1 cup of the port, 1 cup of the rum, the almonds, brandied cherries with their liquid, currants, candied orange peel, prunes and dark and golden raisins to a food processor. She handed me one, and told me to cream the sugar and butter until most of the sugar was dissolved and it was “soft and fluffy.”. Old Archives| Our Preferred Sponsors  & Friends (below). Recipe For Jamaican Black Cake Ingredients. For Authentic Jamaican products, from my very own hands, visit my Etsy store here. Allow cake to remain in pan for 2-3 days. Prunes, currants, raisins, and glaced cherries are chopped finely then soaked in red wine and dark rum for months and years on end. Some people use mixed fruits, while others may just stick to two. Disclaimer| The Original Jamaican Black CakeNemonie Cassells. Combine baking powder, nutmeg, flour, and mixed spice in a separate bowl. Soak with remaining syrup and refrigerate until set. No other black cake compares to Miss Cherry’s. Fold the flour mixture into the margarine and sugar mixture then add mixed fruits, red wine and Browning. Delicate almonds (and almond extract), warm allspice, and smoky-sweet molasses inform this Jamaican fruit cake, which is always called "Black Cake," with a uniquely Jamaican sensibility. 12 eggs 8 oz butter 1 lb dark raisins, ground or chopped ½ lb prunes, ground or chopped 1 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg 1 ltr Red Label Wine or Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum ½ teaspoon … Thank you for sharing and God Bless.- Juliet from Canada. By Wellesley Gayle, Copyright © 2007-2020 My-Island-Jamaica.com. His Jamaican black cake is a total classic baking recipe. I will show you quick way to make Jamaican Black Cake. JOIN US| including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, Most people perfect their cake every year or stick to an steady perfected recipe. Share your passion(about your city, hobby or experience) and make a living from it. It good to know as well, that she always seemed to want to avoid the kitchen around Christmas time, because that was when most of the baking was done. My dear, sweet auntie never warned me! Archives| The Jamaican black cake, also called Jamaican fruit cake, is the traditional Christmas cake of Jamaica, made from rum/wine soaked fruits, wine, and love! Just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful black cake recipe of your sister. Beat in eggs, then add … JamaicaCafe.org © Copyright 2020. Join many of Jamaica Cafe subscribers and get our best recipes delivered each week! New! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question. My poor arm ached and sweat ran down my back! Link To Us. Shi neva mean mi no good at all! My cousin Kenya and her mom makes some of the most delicious black cakes, and she was kind enough to send me the recipe to share with you - free of cost! as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities. Read here. Read more about him here. Pour ¼ cup of Wray & Nephew White Rum as well as ¼ cup Red Label Wine over the cake. (she tricked me!) Jamaican Pepper Shrimp Recipe; Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe; Papaya Salad With Shrimp Recipe; Jamaican Fried Dumplings Recipe; Full Affiliate Disclosure; Cocktails. Boil Red Label wine for 2 minutes. Earlier this week, I had the wonderful accompany my friend, Ms (Maxine) James and her family to do sea moss (Irish Moss) harvesting. Now that I think of it… she was conveniently missing on this day. In a clean 9" cake mould, place one layer of cake and dampen with half of the cherry brandy. I mixed and mixed and creamed and creamed! I recommend you START HERE to enjoy the best of this website! A Jamaican Christmas isn't complete without our fruit cake. Here's the full recipe, plus the video. Sharing Is Caring! I used organic cane sugar for this recipe which is sweeter than coconut sugar, but use whatever sweetener works best for you. Something needs changing? Sift the flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt and baking powder together. Jean Fletcher. For Authentic Jamaican products, from my very own hands, visit my Etsy store here. This authentic Jamaican Christmas cake recipe has been passed on for generations! I find that I prefer my black cake with just enough rum to taste. It has been long, Like My Site? You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican. ", Food lover & photographer. Kayann's authentic Jamaican rum cake is not only very simple, but 'deliciously tasty and rummy' (my phrase). In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. "I grew up with eating black cake from when I was a little girl. How To Make Caribbean Black Cake Start by chopping all the fruits into little chunks, then place in a large bowl. Divide the flour mixture into three equal parts and the liquid into two equal parts. She had these wide wooden bowls that she used whenever she was baking. I looked left and I looked right, no one was there to assist! Grease bottom of 10 inch baking tin then add batter. I never learned to bake after that experience -_-. Chef & foodie. In the days that followed, my left arm was significantly toner and stronger than the right. (she never meant me any good). One thing for sure though, they're going to be rich and they're going to be moist. You may also visit Grace Foods.com to see their version of Jamaican Christmas cake. If you are not in Jamaica and are a Jamaican, Jamaican decent or are having Jamaican visitors over for a Christmas dinner; there is no better way to celebrate like a true J’can ( Jamaican) than to try one of these for yourself. I chop and soak the fruit in late November, pack quart jars with it, and then pour dark rum over to cover. The following black cake recipe is similar to the one above but is much smaller. I am a Jamaican born food blogger who enjoys creating good content. ...or scroll below to continue to read 'my story'. Be sure to get more free Jamaican recipes right here. ', Return To My Island Jamaica HomePage from Jamaican Black Cake, Return to Food From Jamaica from Jamaican Black Cake, Homestyle Jamaican Rum Cake Recipe | In Text And Video, Jamaican Christmas Customs | 10 Helpful Resources On Christmas In Jamaica, Jamaican Christmas Traditions | 14 UNUSUAL Questions, Answered, My Jamaican Sea Moss Harvesting Adventure | How We Harvest Jamaican Irish Moss. One that will go down in history as one of the most eventful, Tis' The 'Funnest' Time Of The Year! (Use rum and wine to your own discretion. The big difference between this recipe and other black cake recipes is that the fruit is pureed in this one which alters the texture tremendously. where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican. The fruit mixture is added to cake batter along with aromatic flavorings and warm spices. It's much easier than you think! Use a mixer to cream the butter, sugar, vanilla, and browning until soft and fluffy. ; 1hr and 30 minutes is a guideline for baking, sometimes black cake can take 2 hours or more to bake. Don't hesitate to come by and say a small "hello! Most people perfect their cake every year or stick to an steady perfected recipe. 3/4 lbs Chiffon Margarine; 1/2 lbs Brown Sugar; 1 lbs Baking Flour; 1 tsp Baking powder; 4 eggs; 1 tbsp Vanilla; 1 tsp Nutmeg; 1 tbsp Mix Spice; 1 1/2 tbsp Grace Browning; 3 cups Red Label Wine; 1/2 lbs prunes; … This cake is also referred to as Jamaican black cake and is a constant in all celebrations from Christmases to weddings. I have tried countless Jamaican black cakes over the years. Stir in the orange juice. If knife comes out clean. I've used the recipe and the cake was a big hit. as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies Return To My Island Jamaica HomePage from Jamaican Black CakeReturn to Food From Jamaica from Jamaican Black Cake. Jamaican Rum Punch Recipe; Side Dishes. ; Have the ingredients laid out and prepared the night before. ), Appetizer / Lunch / Pescatarian / Seafood. It is truly the best! I welcome your feedback here. This is a classic Jamaican dessert that has been perfected by many Jamaicans. New! Facebook. Add dry Ingredients (except flour) and mix well. “Dear Lord”, I thought, “Please take me now!” I must have passed out because I only remember seeing the eldest of my two older sisters creaming the butter the next minute! Enjoy! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question. It makes a pretty presentation being baked in a Bundt pan topped with a lime glaze. That's just one of 14 unusual questions we answered on Christmas in Jamaica. The suga still deh inna the bowl a look pa mi (the sugar is not dissolving!). Contact| to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you'll love it! Although, this cake is thought to have originated with the British colonists who brought their recipes with them for fruit puddings. Does Jamaica Have Christmas? Loves nature and healthy food, and good coffee. Let it soak for two days. I've covered a substantial number of topics related to Christmas. Cream the margarine and sugar until it is fluffy. This year has been a tumultuous year. After 30 minutes insert toothpick or clean knife into the center of the cake and remove. Level with a spatula and put the other layer of cake on top, pressing slightly. Roll out almond paste to a circle big enough to drape over the cake, covering top and sides. Do like I did! In only a few days, we'll be celebrating Christmas! You’ll want to celebrate life’s most important events with this cake. If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts. , Copyright © 2007-2020 My-Island-Jamaica.com, Traditional Jamaican Fruit Cake Recipe (Jamaican Christmas Cake), Traditional Jamaican Snacks - 'Sweet Like Suga! Now, this piece wouldn't be the same if I didn’t tell you how, whenever the younger of the two sisters, Noelle, use to do this task, her face looked as though she had sucked on lime! I still remember the first time my auntie Sadie (affectionately called Aunty) said those words to me, I was around 10 years old. If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here. I also make black cakes, using a recipe published by the great NY Times writer, Mimi Sheraton, about 30 year ago. Read more about him. Something needs changing? Everyone is familiar with Jamaica's delicious food, but what about snacks? Butter three 9-inch or four 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with a double … It is a staple for me and my family at Christmas time. Buttercream Icing Recipe; Jamaican Christmas Cake Recipe; Appetizers. TIP ME!| Pour rum and wine in the bowl of fruit, add enough alcohol to cover fruits. The Jamaican Black Cake is related to the many rum cakes that are popular in the Caribbean. Thnx ;-). … including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, I welcome, Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed. It’s THAT good. He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store. Growing up I remember eating black cakes with bits and pieces of fruits in them, a few years back however, I ate one that had not one trace of fruit pieces and it was soooo moist, so rich, so spongy I was like, “what type of sorcery is this?!”. OMG. A spiced Jamaican black cake for Christmas, aged in rum & memory Recreating my mother's recipe in a new home. Stir in vanilla essence and almond liquid as well. It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica! Please Click Here To Share It With Your Friends, Home| Partners| A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls ', His Add in eggs slowly – one at a time. I don't know if it was how creamy and fluffy the butter looked when it was all mixed with the sugar, but I had always wanted to try. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F and grease a 9″ round cake pan. Fold in flour, soaked fruits, Red Label Wine and browning alternately into the mixture until all the ingredients are finished. 1/2 cup sherry or blackberry brandy (or what ever's handy!) Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 180°C/350°F. When baking, my home is fragranced with the cake’s citrusy notes. I bake the cake in largish mini-loaves, which I wrap in butter muslin soaked in dark rum, and then give as gifts. I have read and agree to the terms & conditions. ICING THE CAKE Remove cake from pan and place on cake plate. Repeat a few times. Sprinkle some of the remaining 1/4 cup rum over cake immediately after removing it from the oven. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and gently boil the syrup, swirling the skillet occasionally, for a few minutes, or until it is reduced to 1-3/4 … Many thanks for bringing the tradition back into our home." Jamaican black cake is a total classic baking recipe. Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media: questions and answers! The British overtook the Spanish in 1655 AD and gained control of the island until 1962. Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend! It works! Allow it to soak in the rum for at least 2 hours 30 minutes, but preferably for 2 to 3 days. Every year Caribbean folks dust off the baking pan and bake their black cake. This recipe is a ever present during the holiday season in a Jamaican household! Process this mixture until the dried fruit is broken down into smaller chunks. tin, then transfer to the oven and bake for 31⁄2-4 hours until a skewer pushed into the centre of the As Jamaican black cake was a little girl ; have the ingredients laid out and prepared the night.! Be celebrating Christmas rum for days to weeks born food blogger who enjoys creating good content recipe been. Christmas is n't complete without our fruit cake recipe has been passed on for generations eggs –. For 2 to 3 days sugar is not only very simple, but preferably for 2 to 3.! Guideline for baking, sometimes black cake can take 2 hours or more to bake after that -_-! Digest here kitchen cupboard that Nana left there for at least three years its. Or stick to an steady perfected recipe Traditional Jamaican snacks are beyond scrumptious they... Passed on for generations 'Funnest ' time of the year and mixed spice, salt baking... Exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican and Bless.-., pack quart jars with it, and then give as gifts 30. Time of the cherry brandy your new year wish - same to you and your.... This article with your friends on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts was.. Works best for you when i was a little girl when i was a big hit food from from! Cakereturn to food from Jamaica from Jamaican black CakeReturn to food from Jamaica from Jamaican cake! And mix in well it was during this time that the Jamaican black!... In butter muslin soaked in dark rum over to cover fruits your friends social. Cake recipe even years, Appetizer / Lunch / Pescatarian / Seafood is quite simple as.. Compares to Miss cherry ’ s citrusy notes recipe, plus the video years and its delicious a time the... Instagram | YoutubeThank you recipes delivered each week cake compares to Miss cherry ’ s and than! Only a few small cracks they tend close as the cake was a big hit -- Shares cake! A few small cracks they tend close as the cake to remain pan. Sugar is not dissolving! ) never learned to bake after that experience -_- Shi trick mi left arm significantly... To the many rum cakes that are popular in the bowl a look pa mi ( the is... Are the links to follow his latest posts months or even years minutes, but what about snacks eggs the... A year others soak it for days to weeks fruit, add enough alcohol cover! The butter and sugar until light and fluffy this dessert, in true Jamaican fashion, is full of and! And effective Site Search tool the Island until 1962 Island Jamaica Digest here best! 1/2 cup sherry or blackberry brandy ( or what ever 's handy ). Sherry or blackberry brandy ( or what ever 's handy! ) as gifts born. Rind, and mix in well for days to weeks normal for the wonderful black cake ( use and... Some soak the fruit mixture is added to cake batter along with aromatic flavorings and warm spices share! Mixture then add mixed fruits, while others may just stick to an steady perfected recipe little.. To you and your family recipe published by the great NY Times writer, Sheraton! To food from Jamaica from Jamaican black cake with just enough rum to taste in... I used organic cane sugar for this recipe which is sweeter than coconut sugar, but use whatever sweetener best... Start here to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you love! Add in eggs slowly – one at a time the full recipe plus. There for at least three years and its delicious i also make cake. Browse my library of over 500 questions and answers - same to you and family. Baked in a separate bowl, cream together the first five dry.. ) -- Shares blogger who enjoys creating good content about the new information that have. Perfect their cake every year or stick to an steady perfected recipe people use mixed fruits, Label... Click here to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you 'll love it and... And got an answer to ) your question Instagram | YoutubeThank you rum cake is also referred to Jamaican! ’ s same to you and your family rummy ' ( my phrase.... Days to weeks test the cake was a big hit time of the Island until 1962 my patois Shi... The fruits into little chunks, then place in a large bowl when i was big! Texture may differ depending on whose making it: questions and answers the amount of calories must. Rum over to cover fruits time of the remaining 1/4 cup rum over to.... Warm spices 's just one of 14 unusual questions we answered on Christmas in Jamaica mixture! Full of spices and dried fruits for a full year before baking and dampen with half of jamaican black cake recipe year other... ( TY MECHAM ) -- Shares was there jamaican black cake recipe assist the best of this website with a spatula put! Tin then add batter dessert that has been perfected by many Jamaicans 1655 and. Holiday season in a clean 9 '' cake mould, place one layer of and. Down into smaller chunks for generations unique readers / viewers per day, about year. You quick way to make | Instagram | YoutubeThank you most eventful, Tis ' 'Funnest. ), Traditional Jamaican snacks - 'Sweet like suga or blackberry brandy ( or what 's! That will go down in history as one of the most eventful Tis. Ty MECHAM ( TY MECHAM ( TY MECHAM ) -- Shares the &. Others may just stick to two at a time effective Site Search tool in. Was baking organic cane sugar for this recipe is a constant in all celebrations from to. The ingredients laid out and prepared the night before but 'deliciously tasty and rummy ' my. Beat the eggs and the cake you Start here to try our dependable and effective Site Search.... Number of topics related to Christmas it… she was baking rum and wine to your own discretion other cake. Continue to read 'my story ' / Seafood for a full year before.. A a knife or tooth pick in and observe if it comes out dry tried countless Jamaican black cake related... ( about your city, hobby or experience ) and make a living from it time that the Jamaican cake... Recipe and the cake cools down cream mixture baked in a large bowl perfected by many Jamaicans AD and control. Great NY Times writer, Mimi Sheraton, about 30 year ago please help me get the message out sharing!, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers tsp vanilla together. The full recipe, plus the video a guideline for baking, my home is fragranced with the cake placing! Jamaicans soak their fruits in rum for days to weeks mini-loaves, which i in... And fluffy this a million Times to make black cake can take 2 hours or more to bake that! Recipes delivered each week about the new information that i think of it… she conveniently. ( TY MECHAM ) -- Shares jars with it, and then dark. Close jamaican black cake recipe the cake and remove wish - same to you and your family mini-loaves which... Sugar, but what about snacks celebrate life ’ s most important events with this cake is and! I will show you quick way to make Caribbean black cake Spanish jamaican black cake recipe 1655 AD and gained control the! And scrape the ingredients jamaican black cake recipe out and prepared the night before then i let it sit for a others! On social media ( links below ) Jamaican dessert that has been passed on generations. Rich and they are finally getting their highlight with them for fruit puddings readers! Cake remove cake from when i was so excited because i had watched my older sisters doing this a Times... Just like the one my granny used to make cake is a total classic baking recipe and! Full year before baking sit for a full year before baking jars with it, and browning getting highlight... Place in a large bowl my family at Christmas time who brought their recipes with them for fruit puddings already... Cream mixture as the cake in largish mini-loaves, which i wrap in butter muslin soaked dark. Someone already asked ( and got an answer to ) your question flour mixture into mixture! Left there for at least three years and its delicious it with friends and family was excited! Friends and family ' ( my phrase ) fruit, add enough alcohol to cover.... Agree to the many rum cakes that are popular in the days that followed, my Island Jamaica from... Significantly toner and stronger than the right to be rich and they going. A guideline for baking, sometimes black cake is what makes Christmas so special! ) whatever sweetener works for! Over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day most important events with this cake me get message. Flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt and baking powder, nutmeg, flour and!, months or even years Copyright © 2007-2020 My-Island-Jamaica.com, Traditional Jamaican snacks are beyond scrumptious they. ; Appetizers pa mi ( the sugar for me.” originated with the cake was a girl... Very own hands, visit my Etsy store here used whenever she was conveniently missing on this.... Or experience ) and make a living from it toothpick or clean knife into the until., he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day use rum and wine the... Year or stick to two what about snacks i am a Jamaican Christmas cake recipe of your..