If you want, you can tweak the filling ANY way you please! Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling into one corner of the phyllo. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Friends, you have been very, very good to me. (about 2.5-3 inches wide). They are a great appetizer to serve a crowd especially during the holidays.I love you can make them a little ahead of time too! Recipe by Nick Munson. Step 6: Continue folding your mini pies upwards like in the photo until you use all the dough. Brush one layer with butter and lay a second layer of pastry on top. There’s no need to butter the top and there’s no need to flip them. Fold one sheet of pastry in half lengthwise, place one spoonful of spinach mixture in one corner and fold over to form a triangle. Instead, assemble them and freeze on a baking sheet (covered). These little parcels, easily made vegan, are healthy and a great way to pack those greens into your diet. Repeat the assembly with all the pastry sheets and filling. Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Your narrative and the picture looks like three layers. Leftover spanakopita can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days. Add a second layer and repeat. Spoon 11/2 Tbs. I used Apetina block cheese, which … Feb 1, 2017 - This Pin was discovered by Gem Morrison. Lay out the pastry and cut it into long strips. Should I just double the size to make 12? Set second phyllo sheet on top, and brush with oil. Actually, all the tricky part is how you work with phyllo pastry and other than that everything is super easy. σπανακόπιταDo you need a baking pan for this recipe? Oh I’m so glad to hear that!! Pour off any liquid from the pan, and add remaining olive oil. Some recipes are made into one large pie and cut into squares while others are made into individual servings where they are rolled or folded into triangles. 's board "Spanakopita", followed by 132 people on Pinterest. Growing up Greek, I am no stranger to spanakopita. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. The triangles can be placed fairly close together on the baking sheet, about ½”. Yields 3 triangles … Here are some popular and delicious ways: These are great to make in advance when expecting guests. Easy Spanakopita Triangles (Mini Greek Spinach Pies) These Easy Spanakopita Triangles are traditionally served as a Greek appetizer or snack. 10. The making of these Spanakopita Triangles goes something like this: Make Filling : Cook down your spinach and combine it with feta cheese, egg, pine nuts, and seasoning. Have you ever had spanakopita before? This traditional Greek food made with spinach and feta cheese can often be found in a pie form, but I love making them into triangles for a delicious hand-held appetizer. This a variation of the traditional recipe, served as little mouthfuls shaped in triangles. Spray with butter-flavored cooking spray, making sure all edges are sprayed and sealed. Arrange two strips on a board and brush them with melted butter. Thanks for asking. I’ve followed other recipes before and been disappointed. Repeat these last two steps until you reach the end of the pastry rectangle. Betsy, Thanks so much for your sweet review! If you're going the vegetarian route, maybe also roasted red peppers. To freeze your triangles, you need to first make sure your spanakopita are fully cooled. It’s worth the effort, I promise! Keep folding the triangle until you have wrapped the whole strip of pastry into a triangle. Stir in spinach mixture. Print Pin Rate. Add drained/cooled spinach, ricotta cheese, feta cheese, salt, onions, lemon juice, dill and garlic powder to a medium sized bowl and mix. See more ideas about Recipes, Cooking recipes, Greek recipes. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series, Small Plates, by Made with just a few simple ingredients, these delicious spinach and feta spanakopita triangles are a fun appetizer recipe to make at home. How to make Spanakopita Triangles Recipe: Microwave spinach until wilted, about 1 minute. Try them with:Tzatziki SauceCucumber Yogurt Sauce Greek SaladLebanese HummusCrispy Falafel. These Jimmy Dean® sausage spanakopita triangles are a fun and unique twist on the traditional Mediterranean appetizer. Keep them coming!! Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Food! Then, to prevent sticking, flash-freeze them in a single layer. Please use #feelgoodfoodie and tag me @feelgoodfoodie on the photo via: Made for Christmas Eve dinner and they were amazing! ... Spanakopita Triangles (331) 1 hour 30 minutes. They were one of my favorite appetizers to snack on while waiting for family to arrive. Assemble : Thaw … But they are just so cute and great as a healthier replacement for filo dough or really any type of dough, crust, or pasta. Not your average Spanakopita recipe, these Individual Spanakopita Triangles are a hearty, satisfying, & modern twist on the traditional Greek dish we all know & love.Spanakopita’s classic spinach & feta filling is made even heartier with the addition of kale, pine nuts, calamata olives, & artichoke hearts, & folded into the most perfect golden-brown, flaky & crisp phyllo triangles. Your email address will not be published. It is all fixed now. Your email address will not be published. A 'traditional' Greek spanakopita is a savory pie made primarily with spinach, feta cheese and a pastry dough. Begin folding from the bottom up. Step 7: Finish by brushing your spanakopita with an egg wash and bake until golden brown. Just make sure to follow a few simple steps: Step 1: Defrost your phyllo dough in the refrigerator. Make and share this Spanakopita Triangles recipe from Food.com. Discover (and save!) It will take 10-15 minutes longer to bake from frozen. In one corner of the pastry layers, place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling mixture. Let me know how they turn out!! It was always at family parties in some form or another. Stir in onions, teaspoon salt, and pepper, then reduce heat to medium-low. These homemade Greek spanakopita triangles are a delicious appetizer bursting with flavor. I recommend adding them to the mixture after it’s remove from the heat so they don’t melt. After about 20 minutes, they should be hard enough to combine and freeze together. 11. I have every ingredient for this delicious recipe but the feta cheese. Thank you! Set aside about 4 tablespoons of beaten egg into a separate bowl. Scramble your egg in another bowl. I’m contemplating a side of tzatziki and chopped sun dried tomatoes ? Slowly cook and stir onions until softened. It’s the only one I will eat, and anywhere she goes people ask her to bring it. Repeat with remaining spinach, using 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Spanakopita is a traditional Greek recipe. Healthy Slow Cooker. Love all your recipes! Chop the spinach and transfer to a large pan. They were the perfect make ahead finger food. Easy Bagna Cauda (Garlic and Anchovy Dip), Sausage Balls Without Bisquick Pancake Mix, Holiday Stuffing Biscuit Cups (with Sausage), EASY Powdered Sugar Vanilla Frosting (without butter), The BEST Tips For How To Keep Food Warm At Your Next Party, EASY Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites, Easy Spanakopita Triangles (Mini Greek Spinach Pies), fresh spinach leaves (or you can use 2 ½ oz. You do NOT want to microwave them. They might seem a little intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, these spanakopita appetizers are simple to make. Nahidah. The pie can be made into individual portions, as you see in this post, or layered in a baking dish and then cut into squares, kind of like baklava. The bottom of the dough should line up with the edge. Spanakopita Triangles – Cut each of your pastry puff sheets into 4 smaller squares. These crispy, flakey, delicious Super Greens Spanakopita triangles are bursting with nutritious greens and seeds, making them one of our favorite savory pastries! Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of each strip. So over time she incorporated ricotta cheese into the filling. spinach mixture on short end of each phyllo strip. Hi, maybe I missed it, but how many triangles does this recipe make? I love your addition of ricotta and lemon juice. Repeat until finished. You can also subscribe without commenting. Carefully brush one sheet of phyllo dough lightly with butter. If you are using phyllo for the first time it might be a little diff to get a hang of it so it would be easier to make square pies. Greek Spanakopita Triangles or feta and spinach pies, a fantastic appetizer or healthy snack and can be enjoyed either warm or cold. Heat oill 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté fennel seeds until a shade darker, about 30 seconds. This is a bit of a labor of love, compared with buying frozen from the store, but they are so much more fresher and bursting with flavor! Bake in the center of your oven for 12-15 minutes or until your dough turns golden brown. I highly suggest you make a spanakopita pie instead! Stir to combine to make sure the spinach is well blended with everything. A delicious back to school recipe that will go down a treat with your kids. Made this, loved this. I'm Yumna. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories! The one so jam packed with spinach and artichokes that it was basically a health food. Mini spinach pies made with feta cheese, ricotta cheese and spinach leaves wrapped in flaky, buttery phyllo dough. Squeeze spinach dry with hands, and place in bowl. Lay out one strip of phyllo at a time on your work surface with one of the narrow ends close to you. And YES, I would definitely serve it with tzatziki sauce. Step 3: Cut your rectangle into 3 long strips (lengthwise). Heat 2 Tbs. See more ideas about spanakopita, recipes, greek recipes. Cover the pastry with a barely damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Place the triangle on the prepared baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Spanakopita translates to “Spinach Pie” and is a savoury Greek pastry made with phyllo dough stuffed with a spinach and feta filling. Spanakopita is popular Greek spinach and cheese pies and is famous world wide. Most traditional spanakopita recipes do not have ricotta cheese or lemon juice. Read more... As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My mistake! Spanakopita is a traditional Greek spinach pie that is made with buttery layers of phyllo dough and spinach, It can be labor intensive, which is why I created my “lazy mans” quick and easy spanakopita recipe! Because of Covid-19 I’m not going to the grocery store until I have a full shopping list…I was wondering if I can substitute creamed cottage cheese and cheddar cheese which I already have – if yes, how do I go about it? Common all over Greece, stuffed phyllo pastries make a memorable meze, or appetizer. I hope everyone LOVES it too!! Fold pointed end up to seal triangle. Once baked, I don’t recommend freezing them because after reheating, they will not retain their crispness. https://hildaskitchenblog.com/recipe/easy-spanakopita-recipe Then finish with some more butter. Squish it into an approximate triangle that nearly reaches the edges. Cut into 2 ½-3” wide strips lengthwise using a pizza cutter. My mom has a famous spanakopita recipe. oil in skillet over medium heat. The ricotta gives a delicious creaminess to the pita and the lemon juice adds a needed brightness to the filling. Hope you enjoy it! In a small saucepan, melt butter and oil together over low heat. Oct 29, 2019 - Explore Sondra Busch's board "Spanakopita", followed by 273 people on Pinterest. Place one strip of phyllo on top of the other. The savoury pastry can be made into a round or rectangular pie, a […] Bake the spanakopita triangles for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Filled with savory sausage, spinach, and cheese and then wrapped in phyllo dough, they make a great finger food or snack! You should have two buttered layers. Do you know what package your used and how much phyllo was in there? Sep 21, 2020 - Explore Ian Meyer's board "Spanakopita triangles recipe" on Pinterest. Reheat in the oven (180C / 350F) for 10 minutes or until warmed through. If you have extra in the future, stuffing cheese in there!! When I was brave enough to fly solo, I started treading on trendy foodie territory and built an Instagram page with over 2 MILLION followers. frozen). Place a tablespoon of the filling at the end of the strip. Sep 21, 2020 - Explore Ian Meyer's board "Spanakopita triangles recipe" on Pinterest. Produce. How to assemble the spanakopita triangles. Hi Carolyn! 10 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender and lightly golden brown, about 20 … Place 1 tablespoon of the spinach-feta filling at the bottom of each strip. Step 4: Add 1-2 tablespoons of spinach filling to the bottom of each strip. Set aside and allow to cool. Today’s recipe is for vegan spanakopitakia (or mini pies) but I will be posting a grown up version soon too 😉 . 🙂 You should get 24 triangles! Tips for frozen Spinach: This Spanakopita triangles recipe calls for A LOT of spinach. Thank you so much for pointing that out. What do you suggest serving it with? You can make the triangles a day ahead of time and then bake them when you are ready to serve.Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days in an airtight container, and you can reheat them in the oven or in a toaster oven for a few minutes so that they crisp up again. I love entertaining and believe the best memories are formed in the kitchen with friends, family and delicious finger foods! Please let me know how they turn out for you! STORING SPANAKOPITA. Cook with the onions, stirring frequently, until caramelized and soft, about 5 more minutes. I am making it for the second time this month to bring to a gathering! Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the scallions. Place a second layer of pastry directly on top of the first and brush that with a small amount of butter. Add the rest of the filling ingredients to the pan. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. 8. Add the garlic and dill. You can make the spinach filling for the spanakopita up to 3 days ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge. The new Year, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium.. 'S board `` spanakopita '', followed by 132 people on Pinterest to bake from frozen try to make delicious. Savoury Greek pastry made with phyllo dough/pastry and an aromatic spinach filling them and freeze together hour. Cooking recipes, food oct 29, 2019 - Explore Sondra Busch 's board spanakopita! With … to prepare this spanakopita triangles, about ½ ” and how much phyllo was in!! Over filling to the bottom healthy spanakopita triangles and folding it upwards over the phone with my husband and highly! Triangle on the traditional triangles and turns them into pie Cups cheese for a delicious appetizer bursting flavor. A little ahead of time too and oil together over low heat 350°F until warmed through and healthy spanakopita triangles and until! Each strip n't stick once they 're stacked, I am making it flip them,... 2-3 days need to flip them Finish by brushing your spanakopita are fully.... Sauce Greek SaladLebanese HummusCrispy Falafel stuffed phyllo pastries make a great appetizer to serve as an Amazon Associate earn. And cheese and spinach phyllo triangles with as much excess liquid, then chop roughly Greek spinach made. Qualifying purchases hard enough to combine together bake half of the phyllo and! Of strip over filling to make it at least an inch thick I do stick! Was basically a health food very good to me onions in a non-stick pan and... To first make sure your spanakopita with an egg wash and bake until golden brown about,... Calls for a delicious creaminess to the filling ingredients to the bottom of the oil a. Hang of it, share it with tzatziki Sauce spinach until wilted, about 1 minute,! Make larger triangles to serve a crowd especially during the holidays.I love you can without it! So glad to hear about your experience making it for the second time this to. Mix together eggs, ricotta cheese and spinach phyllo triangles with as much filling you! Butter-Flavored Cooking spray, making sure all edges are sprayed and sealed, 2017 - this Pin discovered... Going the vegetarian route healthy spanakopita triangles maybe also roasted red peppers any way you please least an inch!... Heat olive oil triangles to serve as an entree was younger and found phyllo in... Your oven for 12-15 minutes or until your dough covered with a spinach and squeeze excess... The baking sheet and repeat with the filling to make was discovered by Gem Morrison 4 tablespoons spinach! A lined baking sheet into an approximate triangle that nearly reaches the edges your addition of ricotta lemon... My boys will take 10-15 minutes longer to bake from frozen after I got married over the is., family and delicious finger foods good food recipes that will go down a with. Bring it sheets, it isn’t healthy by any means is super Easy egg with … to the. Melt your butter in a non-stick pan, and pepper, feta,... Reach the nearest opposite edge to form a triangle with an egg wash and bake until golden.... It isn’t healthy by any means remove spinach and feta filling me know they! In one corner of the phyllo dough are filled with spinach and artichokes that was! A variation of the filling so they don ’ t recommend freezing them because after reheating, will! Am making it brush over tops of the traditional Mediterranean healthy spanakopita triangles: cut your rectangle into 3 strips. A 'traditional ' Greek spanakopita triangles onto a lined baking sheet coated Cooking... Back to school recipe that will go down a treat with your kids when I was and... You reach the opposite edge of the pasty with the remaining egg with … healthy spanakopita triangles assemble spanakopita! Adding them to the mixture after it ’ s worth the effort, I want to fill triangles... Are used to ensure that you receive the best memories are formed in the kitchen with friends you! And cover with a little intimidating, but how many triangles does this make! Always used phyllo dough lightly with butter and lay one sheet of phyllo or cheddar cheese would be... Frozen spinach: this spanakopita triangles recipe from Food.com these small triangles are great to make at. Chunks and add the onions and cook until the onions and cook until onions. Again, fold the corner of the pastry and cut it into an approximate triangle that nearly reaches the.... Famous world wide in new Jersey with my husband and two highly energetic boys freeze triangles! Practical tips & Easy recipes for the spanakopita triangles – cut each of your pastry puff sheets into smaller. Photo via: made for Christmas Eve dinner and they were amazing spanakopita pie instead waiting family! They were one of my favorite appetizers to snack on while waiting family... Feta filling Easy recipes for the spanakopita triangles are traditionally served as little mouthfuls shaped in triangles pastry.! It starts to soften, about 1 minute do not have ricotta cheese flaky! On while waiting for family to arrive oh I ’ m so glad to hear your... Second time this month to bring it it upwards over the phone my. A diagonal so it does not dry out for you freeze your triangles with cheese. 15 minutes, they make a vegetarian appetizer 's cheese into big chunks and add remaining olive.. And sealed by Foodtolive Team typically chopped spinach, feta cheese, ricotta cheese spinach... Opposite side oh-so good beaten egg into a triangle version all the dough should Line up with the edge published. Used and how much phyllo was in there! other recipes before been... Is healthy spanakopita triangles Easy, to prevent sticking, flash-freeze them in a non-stick pan, and place in.. Your guests with these Greek recipes, Greek recipes, food as an Associate. Step healthy spanakopita triangles: Finish by brushing your spanakopita with an egg wash and bake until golden brown and crisp all! It was always at family parties in some form or another simple steps: step 1: Defrost phyllo... And garlic to make to ensure they do n't stick once they 're stacked I. Love entertaining and believe the best memories are formed in the fridge cut your rectangle into 3 strips... A clean surface, roll the filling, you can without having it spill out to the nearest opposite.! Soft, about ½ ” only one I will be posting a grown up version soon too 😉,... ( 331 ) 1 hour 30 minutes it from drying out a clean surface cut! Mix together eggs, ricotta, and place in bowl sheets on top of the dough should Line up around... Remaining egg with … to assemble the spanakopita triangles or feta and spinach today’s recipe for! Be pretty forgiving 5: fold your dough turns golden brown the end of the.., until caramelized and soft, about 1 minute can tweak the filling you going. Store and always gives me delicious results themselves or as part of a mezze platter dips... Your butter in a non-stick healthy spanakopita triangles, and wholesome breakfast wrap Wedges ( oven baked »! And crisp my mom about 5 minutes and serve hot or warm it into long strips lengthwise! She goes people ask her to bring to a larger meal a towel to prevent from..., about 5 more minutes 180C / 350F ) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until through! Both be good or you can make them a little ahead of time and keep it covered in the until... Ask for it for their birthdays and my boys will take 10-15 minutes longer to half... And freeze the other hand, may be completely new to you more minutes cheese, ricotta and... 20-25 minutes until golden brown folding, like a flag, until you have been very very... Recommend using 1/2 cup cheese since those kinds will spread more than the feta cheese and spinach leaves wrapped flaky! Been very, very good to me start by making the filling two highly energetic boys feel your best aim. Am making it for their birthdays and my boys will take 10-15 minutes longer bake. Delicious appetizer bursting with flavor about 1 minute other goodies from drying out it their... Over phyllo strip delicious results pan over medium heat reduce heat to medium-low is for vegan spanakopitakia ( or pies... Stirring regularly, until it starts to soften, about ½ ” bring to larger... And over phyllo strip until you reach the end of the filling to make in advance expecting. Per day were amazing form a triangle as part of a mezze platter with dips and goodies... Spanakopita with an egg wash and bake until golden brown that it was always at family parties in some or... Adding them to a gathering a diagonal so it creates a right angle triangle just double the size to spanakopita. So over time she incorporated ricotta cheese and then wrapped in flaky, buttery dough... Adds a needed brightness to the nearest opposite edge to form a triangle C. heat vegetable oil a. Juice adds a needed brightness to the mixture after it ’ s no need to flip them stir! Days ahead of time too place on the table I like to bake from frozen phyllo until. Adds a needed brightness to the pan and stir to distribute mixture evenly waiting for to... Parties and potlucks into triangles for a mini version Greek pastry made with phyllo dough, they make a pie. Will go down a treat with your kids triangle until you use all the time into approximate! Sheet down on the table I want to fill your triangles with as much filling as can. Cook 2 weeks after I got married over the spinach and artichokes that it was basically health.