Crack eggs over the bowl with the wet … Only made 18–and the last 6 weren’t full-sized. Yes, that should work! Made with coconut flour and with no refined sugar, these are light and airy muffins, loaded with blueberries and zesty lemon flavor! Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Again, avoid overmixing! I'm here to help you find confidence in the kitchen and LOVE what you eat. Is it possible to direct me to the old version? Thank you for this delicious, healthy muffin recipe!! Then, we toss into a freezer safe, zip top bag, making sure not to over stuff the bag. If you want beautiful tall muffins, don’t be afraid of baking powder. You can also reheat these in a 300ºF oven until warmed through, 5–8 minutes. These healthy blueberry muffins are still good without it, but a little lemon oil adds a delightful bright flavor. Add eggs and whisk together eggs and lemon-sugar until combined. salt Your email address will not be published. . Nice and moist and very sweet. I thought they were ok but everyone else loves them so I gave 4 stars. https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/healthy-lemon-blueberry-muffins It’s just all about balance really, isn’t it? Also used 50% almond meal. they are delicious and easy to make. Oil muffin pan, or line with paper liners. To make these easy, healthy blueberry muffins, you will need white whole wheat flour, or all purpose flour, Greek yogurt, olive oil, honey, blueberries, an egg, lemons, baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. Using a fork mix until combined. Sprinkle with sugar, if … First things first, read over the recipe and make sure you have everything you’ll need (or DM me about making ingredient substitutions). Are Lemon Blueberry Muffins Healthy? Using electric mixer, beat in butter until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Yes, these flavorful breakfast oat muffins are heart-healthy and packed with soluble fiber and protein, and they even have a sweet surprise—juicy blueberries, poppyseeds, and a burst of lemon zing! Preheat the oven to 400°F. These Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins are THE most moist, cake like muffin on our entire site. Sure! Not too sweet, fluffy, and they are a nutritious snack or breakfast option to have on hand! Doubled the recipe and got exactly 20 plump, full size muffins. I actually made them with maple extract instead of lemon. Oil produces a more tender and moist muffin. Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins. Toss the blueberries with a teaspoon of flour (this helps them from dropping to the bottom of the batter). or DM me about making ingredient substitutions, Finished with a bit of sugary crunch on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden-brown. Blueberry and Lemon is one of my favorite flavor combos! In a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, honey, oil, eggs, lemon zest, and extract until smooth. . I'm a mom and registered dietitian with a passion to help parents create a home environment where they can raise healthy kids! Whole wheat flour provides fiber and B Vitamins that refined white flour is missing. I doubled this recipe and it did not make 24–not even close. Don’t overmix. Made using fresh blueberries, buttermilk, and a squeeze of lemon juice, these muffins come out of the oven sweet, moist, and healthy enough to enjoy as a grab & go breakfast! Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. With lemon or citrus infused cakes, muffins or desserts, I think there is a very fine line between too much lemon … They will begin to dry out, so they won’t taste as moist as the first day when stored in the pantry. Sub’d coconut sugar for white and sub’d 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk with 2tsp lemon juice for buttermilk. Totally delicious, will make again and probably add a bit more lemon or a dash of zest. I'm Lo, a professionally trained Culinary Food Scientist, Journalist, and previous food magazine editor. They don’t need so much. These are based off of two popular muffin recipes I have – the Banana Cherry muffins and the Pumpkin muffins.So if either of … In a large bowl, add honey, coconut oil, applesauce, greek yogurt, egg, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract. *GREEK YOGURT: I use nonfat Greek yogurt, but you can use 2% or full-fat as well. Happy baking! Not only can blueberry muffins be frozen, the taste and texture does not suffer after they’ve defrosted. Add lemon oil! Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffins – a super easy recipe! tapioca starch, lemon juice, coconut oil, lemon zest, large eggs and 8 more Keto Lemon Blueberry Muffin Grass Fed Girl Make the Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins by combining all your dry ingredients in one bowl and some of your wet ingredients in another bowl. They defrost on the counter over night, and in the  morning, they ware ready to eat. Ingredients. ★☆ Divide batter (it will be thick) between muffin cups, about 5 tablespoons per cup. It makes sense, since cooking has the potential to be a big production when you have kids under tow. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir until mostly incorporated but some pockets of flour remain. Hi Dayana, I haven’t tried it myself but “all purpose” gluten free flour would probably work! You can increase the oil by 1 tablespoon if you don’t want to use applesauce. Get out a few mixing bowls, a microplane, whisk, rubber spatula, muffin pan, and cupcake liners. Will definitely make again. These fluffy and juicy lemon blueberry muffins are the perfect way to start your mornings, they make a delicious healthy treat and they're easy to make from scratch. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 teaspoon flour to coat; fold blueberries into the batter just until combined. To make eggless lemon blueberry muffins, use 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce in place of the egg, and add an additional 1/4 tsp of baking powder or use a flax seed egg. So, I thought I’d address the most asked questions about muffins. To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt … I made these and am embarrassed to say we ate them in 2 days! Total bake time is about 23 minutes. That’s the big secret. The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure you are fluffing the flour a bit before you measure it out. They are mostly made up of oats, which are gluten free and a great source of fiber. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Will definitely make again when we pick fresh berries this summer. We have all heard this before, but is truly the key to a fluffy, moist muffin. These muffins have everything going for them, they’re: I find there are two things that cause muffins to be less-than-impressive—they’re either gluey (which some people like to call “moist”) or dried out. There are three major things that can make a muffin healthier. Another thing to keep in mind—don’t be afraid to fill your muffin cups to the top! Either way, keep them sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep air out and freshness in. They turned out really good. https://app.prepear.com/superhealthykids?recipe=83145bc0-e3eb-11e9-9a49-5fe7655acc9e. Bake muffins 5 minutes at 425°F then, keeping muffins in oven, reduce oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 16–18 minutes more. (21g) light vegetable oil; 1 tsp. Lastly, if you’re using frozen, try to find some frozen wild blueberries, they add tons of flavor! Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Zest your lemon – you’ll need around 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. Turned out great!! Tested better cooled than warm. We really enjoyed these muffins. I prefer the quick microwave-method for reheating muffins. I like to wrap them individually in a paper towel or napkin. Delicious! Sift all purpose flour and baking soda over the wet ingredients and fold only till no streak of flour is … Using a spatula, mix until wet and dry ingredients are completely combined! Made them entirely with whole wheat flour and with coconut sugar imstead of regular sugar, so they turned out a little darker. Buttermilk also changes the pH of the batter, so your baked goods are less likely to brown while cooking, giving muffins a nice light golden finish. https://bakerbynature.com/blueberry-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins Once the height has been achieved, it’s important to drop the temp back down to ensure the batter cooks through. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Made with fresh blueberries, lemon, creamy yogurt they are also packed with nutrition and less sugar than most other muffins out there! Otherwise you’ll end up with over-baked outsides and under-baked insides. © 2020 Super Healthy Kids, Inc., all rights reserved. I didn’t have buttermilk so I used organic yogurt. If you don’t have lemon oil, a teaspoon of lemon zest would be great too. I made this recipe last night and my wife and mother in law loved them, so gave it 5 stars. Subbed lemon juice for extract and Greek yogurt for buttermilk and apple sauce. These were great; I added lemon zest and vanilla extract! We get so many questions about making, freezing and storing muffins. Of course, they have butter and flour and sugar, but they also have yogurt and plenty of fruit. You can also use frozen blueberries, if you do, don’t thaw them prior to adding them to the batter, add them frozen. I like to use fresh blueberries, but frozen berries can also be used. What can I substitute the apple sauce with ?