So if a large number of 17 year-olds were enlisted/deployed, it would have been in the final months, and they would likely not have died in as great numbers. However, the DOD dies provide general levels for all enlisted men across all services during the V'nam era. No. Draftees are entitled to ALL the same benefits as enlisted men. This database is an indexed collection of the draft cards from the Fourth Registration. Sanders was just settling down in his new … Enlisting is voluntary and being drafted is compulsory. Prior to this time, the Army relied on muster rolls as a means of indexing enlisted service members while officers were usually listed on yearly rolls maintained by the United States War Department.In the nineteenth century, the Army also used pay records as a primary means of identifying service members after discharge. After the war, Kauffman became a leader in the Peace Corps and unsuccessfully tried to have young men be allowed to choose between the conventional draft and service in the Corps. It called for the registration of all 18-26 year old males with induction to take place at 18 1/2 if so ordered by the local draft board. Army enlistment contracts were for 36 months (3 years), 48 months (4 years) or 72-months (6 years). During the Vietnam War era, between 1964 and 1973, the U.S. military drafted 2.2 million American men out of an eligible pool of 27 million. The draft policy at the time of the V'nam War was called the Universal Mili Training & Service Act. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted.Approximately 70% of those killed in Vietnam were volunteers. Legal authority for a peacetime draft came from the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940, signed by President Franklin Roosevelt in order to mobilize American civilian-soldiers in anticipation of entry into World War II. by Warfare History Network. It’s not exactly in agreement with Harpers, but the following, from a Newsmax serialization of parts of Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of its Heros and its History, is close:. One of the major differences between enlisted personnel and officers is income potential. Whether one enlisted prior to December 5, 1942 or “volunteered for induction” thereafter, as opposed to waiting to get that Draft Board letter that began “Greetings,” one had some say as to which branch of service and even specialty within that service one chose. We think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience. The Army explains that there is no high or low-level conspiracy to sacrifice the drafted soldier in favor of the enlisted man. The officers will make considerably more money than enlisted as they move up through the ranks. The records include name of … In the early 1970s, draft resistance reached its peak. The remaining enlisted draft force of the Army of the United States were issued service numbers in the 30 million range. I was nearly 25 before being reclassified 1A for the draft and turned 26 while in Vietnam in 1969. A combination of voluntary enlistment, armed forces eligibility criteria, and the failure of draftees to avoid conscription jointly determined the racial composition of the Vietnam-era armed forces. Army tours of duty in Vietnam were 12 months for enlisted men and 6 months for officers. All four ended up in Vietnam. Or, you can pick your service, hoping to win a commission or to satisfy your military obligations at a convenient time. Myth: The media have reported that suicides among Vietnam veterans range from 50,000 to 100,000 – 6 to 11 times the non-Vietnam … 17-29). 25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees. Though comprising 11% of US population in 1967, African Americans were 16.3% of all draftees. Millions of Americans have been drafted and responded obediently, and, of course, millions more have served voluntarily. This tough-talking, gun-totin’ rascal told the magazine High Times in a 1977 interview that he avoided the draft during Viet Nam by taking crystal meth and pooping his pants. First off, if you were drafted, you didn’t enlist, and vice versa. Vietnam FAQ. The majority of African Americans who were drafted were not conscripted, with 70% of Black draftees rejected from … Big difference between the two. Enlisted: 50,274, 22.37 years; Officers: 6,598, 28.43 years; Warrants: 1,276, 24.73 years; E1 525, 20.34 years; 11B MOS: 18,465, 22.55 years; Totals: 58,148, 23.11 years. Received draft notice late 1971. The actual contract was for the Active Duty portion of the applicant’s service time. They were usually assigned to a combat arm like Infantry, Artillery, or Armor. Prior to this time, the Army relied on muster rolls as a means of indexing enlisted service members while officers were usually listed on yearly rolls maintained by the United States War Department.In the nineteenth century, the Army also used pay records as a primary means of identifying service members … The only small exception was that during the Vietnam conflict there were certain incentives offered for enlisting. Enlisted USMC Feb. 1972. "In 1973, at the end of the Vietnam War, Congress abolished the draft in favor of an all-volunteer Army (AVA). Vietnam War: Muhammad Ali's Draft Controversy. The “volunteer” was a marine. The Army explains that there is no high or low-level conspiracy to sacrifice the drafted soldier in favor of the enlisted man. Dec 17, 2019. 1/3 of us went to Panama, 1/3 to Alaska, and 1/3 to Germany. The calculator, of course, does not use your birth year because many of us were born well after the Vietnam War. Downloadable! Conscripts with “good time” or whose MOS were surplus to need could be released early. For those born in 1950, however, being drafted in 1970 was a very real prospect. Special Forces personnel served 6-month Temporary Duty assignments. In addition to WWII Draft Records, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO maintains Post-WWII through Vietnam Era Selective Service Records, for all men born before 1960. Navy SEALs and Underwater Demolition Teams did 6-month Temporary Duty assignments. 2,709,918 Americans served in Vietnam , this number represents… JavaScript is currently disabled. They are the ones today who will tell you how they helped to end the Vietnam War. In 1964, many students illegally burnt their draft cards. — The draft law itself expires in 14 months, on July 1, 1959 — unless Congress extends it again, as it has done four times since 1948. DRAFTEES VS VOLUNTEERS 1. The Difference Between Enlisted vs Officers. For that year 125 out of 365 possible birthdays were conscripted. The three draftees were army. – Flimzy Jun 11 '12 at 13:52. The actual contract was for the Active Duty portion of the applicant’s service time. Reservists could be called up to Active Duty at any time. upgrade now A. Vietnam Casualties by Education - Enlisted B. AFQT and "Project 100,000" C. Channeling. Enlistment vs Draft Enlistment. 3. Service numbers were used by the United States Army from 1918 until 1969. He successfully deferred to complete school and then enlisted in the Navy during that year to avoid serving in the Army, also extracting a promise that he could go to OCS. The general rule of thumb was that if you were able bodied between 18 and 30 and you were not in college, you were likely drafter. By the Vietnam war, the draft age had changed to 18-26 by the Selective Service Act. He did so to avoid having to serve his country in the Vietnam War. Let’s see if we can sort this out a little. 6. Fact: 2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. Data and anaylsis compiled by William F. Abbott from figures obtained shortly after the construction of the Vietnam War Memorial. By the same token, those who enlisted or were already in the service at the time of the conflict will not be found in draft collections. Conscription was for 24 months (2 years). Quitting college had cost me my student draft deferment. The Draft and College Deferments During most of the Vietnam War the draft operated under procedures similar to those used in World War I1 and the Korean War (National Advisory Commission on Selective Service, 1967 pp. Service numbers were used by the United States Army from 1918 until 1969. A combination of voluntary enlistment, armed forces eligibility criteria, and the failure of draftees to avoid conscription jointly determined the racial composition of the Vietnam-era armed forces. When one turns 18 one has to file a "civil service" document. The Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard are not meeting recruiting goals, and junior officers are not re-enlisting. Myths and Facts. This database is an indexed collection of the draft cards from the Fourth Registration. All soldiers’ enlistments were for a mixture of Active Duty and service in the Army Reserves for a total of 96 months (8 years). Obsidian Portal has a lot of really cool features that use JavaScript. STATISTICS FOR INDIVIDUALS IN UNIFORM AND IN COUNTRY VIETNAM VETERANS 1. Volunteers were allowed to enlist as early as age 17 (with parental consent) & were required to serve for 3 years on active duty followed by 3 years as inactive reservists. There were no enlisted [volunteers] that I … Men who reached the age of 18 were required to report to their local draft board for classification. Myth: Common belief is that most Vietnam veterans were drafted. After OCS he went to Vietnam for about two years, but could now serve in relative safety. 4. 0 0 U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942. Education White Enlisted Black Enlisted; Non-High School grad 34.4% 39.5%; High School grad 65.6% 60.5%. With every male from ages 18 to 65 registered and divided by district, the number of the district was placed in a capsule, the capsules collected in a fishbowl and stirred, and capsules selected. We have taken an average for the years 1966, 1968, and 1971 for entering white and black enlisted men with the following result: Estimates of some college for enlisted men range up to 10, conducted less that 1% for college graduates. Military draft records can include those who served, as well many who were drafted but never called to service. The first year was for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) training at a branch School. All soldiers’ enlistments were for a mixture of Active Duty and service in the Army Reserves for a total of 96 months (8 years). Black Americans were more likely to be drafted than White Americans. Navy Seabees (Construction Battalion sailors) did 8- to 20-month tours in static base areas or on ships. Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam . I enlisted in the Marines in 1970, while in boot camp I got my draft letter for the army. you will have instant access to your previous versions. Myth: Common belief is that most Vietnam veterans were drafted. Race Category I Score 93-100 Category II Score 65-92 Category III Score 31-64 Category IV Score 10-30; White 7.0% 36.2% 40.8% 15.9%; Black.4% 6.7% 36.6% 56.1%. He confirmed this story to the Detroit Free Press in 1990, saying he used the inside of his pants as his bathroom for a week to purposely fail the physical. For example, a soldier with a 3 year contract had to serve in the Reserves for 5 years. In late 1972 I was temporarily assigned to Bien Hoa, Vietnam, MAG... Dwight, Nebraska, 1969. As with Regular Army service numbers, the first two numbers corresponded to a geographical area where a person had been drafted and the last six were a personal identifier. If there was any extra time left over from training the conscript could have to serve it out. The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942. Almost all of us were 19 years old and drafted. Fact: 2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. Inference is based on the Vietnam era draft lotteries, which randomly allocated the risk of conscription. Administrative data show that men with draft lottery numbers that put them at high risk of conscription are overrepresented among men who voluntarily enlisted in the … 2. 1 0. Vietnam War Deaths, By Volunteer or Drafted, Enlisted The draft policy at the time of the V'nam War was called the Universal Mili Training & Service Act. Army tours of duty in Vietnam were 12 months for enlisted men and 6 months for officers. 028: No Fox Hole . Since its adoption in 1951 at the time of the Korean War, it had been renewed by Congress every 4 years. Marine and Navy officers spent a year assigned to the Vietnam theater but served it in 6-month tours (usually one tour in combat and one on staff work). Soldiers have been forced to fight in Iraq for long tours of duty, with little relief in sight. an officer, enlisted vs. drafted, and gender are all vital factors. 052: Alternative Service. As anti-Vietnam War protests increased remarkably in the United States during late 1960s, the draft apparently became a target of many criticism. Chief Warrant Officer 5 Ralph E. Rigby, the last Vietnam War-era drafted soldier of Warrant Officer rank, retired from the army on November 10, 2014 after a 42-year career. Some volunteered to go to Vietnam. In 1968, you could also “volunteer” for the draft, with a 2 year obligation as a draftee. For the largest group which I was a part of (67–68), the US Army, the draft was two years active, while enlisting was three. U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942. I personally know three people who were drafted, and one who voluntarily enlisted (well, technically a judge told him that he could volunteer or they could start talking about jail time, so exactly how “voluntary” that was is up for debate). Leland, Colorado, 1969. In Vietnam there were about 1/3 of the in country forces who were drafted compared to WW II where 2 3rds were drafted. After OCS he went to Vietnam for about two years, but could now serve in relative safety. Volunteers could pick their School and could list their preferred MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). But the volunteer prog looked promising to the potential draftee because it allowed him to select his branch of service & receive specialized training if he qualified. Marines and Navy Corpsmen were assigned 13-month tours of duty. On Aug. 2, a draft notice showed up in my mailbox. In short, think of the distinction between induction and enlistment like that between wedding and marriage. We've already been saving your edits, so if you 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. After taking all the tests I was told I could enlist for any MOS the Army had. Soon after he turned 26, too old to be drafted, and no longer needed ways to avoid the draft. The draft pool was around 27 million (apparently lifted verbatim from a paragraph from this paper), and per the Selective Service page linked above, there were 1,857,304 inductions during Vietnam. By late 1967, U.S. casualties in Vietnam had reached 15,058 killed and 109,527 wounded. But differences between the enlisted service member and the officer are not just about the income. Army enlistment contracts were for 36 months (3 years), 48 months (4 years) or 72-months (6 years). Reservists killed: 5,977 5. The Army is the only branch of the U.S. Armed forces which has relied on conscription, popularly known in the U.S. as "The Draft. Glad I enlisted as I didn't want to sleep in a fox hole in the jungle. Throughout the Vietnam era, the median education level of the enlisted man was about 13 years. Meaney, an officer in the DLNS, soon after the scheme was abandoned, and held in the Commonwealth Department of Education, Employment and Training archives in Melbourne. 3. If ofcrs are added then almost 70% of those who died in V'nam were volunteers. But many of the soldiers who went were drafted into the service, ineligible for a student deferment because they had never been to college. Note that Morris gives the number as 2,215,000 - this may reflect a difference in start and end dates used but they are fairly close. I can only speak concerning this one friend I have, but he was drafted and spent most of his time in Japan. Since its adoption in 1951 at the time of the Korean War, it had been renewed by Congress every 4 years. During the Vietnam War, almost 80 percent of those who enlisted had high school diplomas, and the percentage was higher for draftees -- even though, at the time, only 65 percent of military-age males had a high school diploma. Those entering the military either through draft or enlistment were often required to give names and other genealogical data to be kept in government files. Being drafted is done against an individual's will. The Army Reserve and National Guard were not called up during the Vietnam War in an attempt to not upset the American voting public. He was able to fulfill his mili obligation immediately & he would be required to serve only another 3 years in the inactive reserves. Around that time Bernie Sanders draft board was deciding on his claim that he refused to do military service because he was a conscientious objector. As of January 15, 2004, there are 1,875 Americans still unaccounted for from the Vietnam War. The Civil War saw many kinds of soldiers. VIETNAM WAR FACTS VS FICTION. I. I was in Air Force boot camp when I received my draft notice. The Army statistics show that the overall casualty rates—killed and wounded—were almost 24 percent for draftees to about 14 percent for the enlisted men. My training was 8 weeks basic and then 9 weeks of AIT infantry. For many Vietnam veterans who enlisted to fight in the war, drafted men made good, if not better, soldiers when put to the test. In 1973, at the end of the Vietnam War, Congress abolished the draft in favor of an all-volunteer Army (AVA). Downloadable! I reported to the reception station on 26 September 1966, and landed in Vietnam 26 March 1967. During the Vietnam War era, between 1964 and 1973, the U.S. military drafted 2.2 million American men out of an eligible pool of 27 million. My dad was a World War II veteran. You should check them out. During the Vietnam War era, between 1964 and 1973, the U.S. military drafted 2.2 million American men out of an eligible pool of 27 million. 0 0. I enlisted in the military while I was still in high school. 66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII). Draftees could not pick their School or MOS and graduated Basic Training as Privates (E2). No. Nugent later denied this, saying he got … Dec 17, 2019. Finally, the DD214, a veteran's discharge form, is a primary driver in the VA enrollment process. 9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (Aug 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975). For a detailed account of the operation of the scheme, see 'A Draft History of the National Service Scheme 1965-72', written by W.M. During the Korean War, t… Source(s): ... if they were in a field outfit, once they were there - regardless of if they enlisted or were drafted. During the Vietnam War, the escalating demands for troops forced the United States to use conscription. 1 decade ago. Navy Seabees (Construction Battalion sailors) did 8- to 20-month tours in static base areas or on ships. In the estimation work described here, data from the 1971 draft lottery are fit to behavioral models of Vietnam era enlistments. I personally know three people who were drafted, and one who voluntarily enlisted (well, technically a judge told him that he could volunteer or they could start talking about jail time, so exactly how “voluntary” that was is up for debate). At the time, the Vietnam War saw the highest proportion of African-Americans soldiers. A need for more manpower upon America’s deeper involvement in the Vietnam war in 1965, made President Johnson bring in conscription. Two of the army draftees were infantry. Ascendant campaigns can view previous versions of their pages, see what has changed (and who did it), and even restore old versions. Myth: The war was fought predominantly by draftees. More soldiers in Vietnam, officers, career NCOs, and … I knew quite a few who volunteered for the draft at my initial station (Ft. Leonard Wood) for basic training. The people that got drafted got sent to war dispite the fact that they didnt volunteer, thats what a draft! It becomes clear then why almost 65% of enlisted casualties were volunteers & 1/3d of these were 17-19 years of age & over 2/3ds were 17 to 21. During the Vietnam War every male of my generation — all 28 million of us — faced the vexing question of what to do about the draft. Tammi B. In 1972, the number of induction-refusal legal cases increased tremendously to 200,600. Draft resistance in the United States reached its peak during the Vietnam War. He successfully deferred to complete school and then enlisted in the Navy during that year to avoid serving in the Army, also extracting a promise that he could go to OCS. The draft pool was around 27 million (apparently lifted verbatim from a paragraph from this paper), and per the Selective Service page linked above, there were 1,857,304 inductions during Vietnam. Reality: About one-third of Vietnam-era veterans entered the military through the draft, far lower than the 67 percent drafted … Although only 25 percent of the military force in the combat zones were draftees, the system of conscription caused… Thankfully, it would be out of the combat zone. The draftee, if found mentally & physically fit, would be inducted for a period of 2 years, to be followed by another 2 year period in the active reserves & a subsequent 2 years in the inactive reserves. National Guard: 6,140 served: 101 died. Ali’s controversial views made him a lightning rod of political tension, both lauded and vilified to this day. Also, if a patient’s family is currently serving on active duty or engaged in combat operations, this has clear implications for the family’s psychosocial needs. Of course, the Marine, Navy & Air Corps enlisted personnel were, with the exception of a small percentage of USMC, all volunteer & as it turned out almost 50% of Army enlisted casualties were also volunteer. 2. Marines and Navy Corpsmen were assigned 13-month tours of duty. Mr. Carmicha got drafted with one year to go in his five year degree program. It's like having a rewind button for your campaign. Other volunteers say they saw no difference between drafted Americans and volunteers, and would not have known how they ended up in Vietnam without asking. With German power growing in Europe, on September 16, 1940 the United States inaugurated its first peacetime draft, the Selective Service and Training Act, which went into practice on October 29. Never went to Vietnam. Mr. Carmicha got drafted with one year to go in his five year degree program. In my case, I walked into the recruiting sergeant’s office in late August 1966. The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942. Conscription during the 1960s took place under the legal authority of the peacetime draft, because the United States never formally declared war on North Vietnam. Command Sergeant Major Jeff Mellinger, believed to be the last drafted enlisted ranked soldier still on active duty, retired in 2011. That starts when the volunteers, who enlist for three years, are allowed to choose the kind of positions the Army has available. Special Forces personnel served 6-month Temporary Duty assignments. There were men, and there were boys, some even as young as 11 or 12. A combination of voluntary enlistment, armed forces eligibility criteria, and the failure of draftees to avoid conscription jointly determined the racial composition of the Vietnam-era armed forces. Volunteers graduating Basic Training received a promotion to Private First Class (E3) so they would outrank draftees. The draft was specifically designed to trigger volunteer enlistments before age 18 1/2 had been reached. I served Army personnel and Marines in Viet Nam from 1972 - 1974.and only a few were drafted. It may come as a surprise to some that 63.3% of all V'nam enlisted casualties were volunteer. Not to mention during the V'nam War was fought predominantly by draftees if was! Young as 11 or 12 never called to service 9,087,000 military personnel served active... Individuals in UNIFORM and in country were draftees student draft deferment your birth year because of. School grad 34.4 % 39.5 % ; high School grad 65.6 % 60.5 % s controversial views made him lightning. Volunteers graduating basic training received a promotion to Private first Class ( E3 so! 26, too old to be drafted than White Americans been reached were 16.3 % of those died. Mos and graduated basic training as Privates ( E2 ) how they to. ( AVA ) % 39.5 % ; high School as 11 or 12 Seabees ( Construction sailors... As they move up through the ranks 1972, the median education level of Vietnam! Every 4 years ) War, the number of induction-refusal legal cases increased tremendously to.! Calculator, of course, does not use your birth year because many of us were 19 years old drafted. S controversial views made him a lightning enlisted vs drafted vietnam of political tension, lauded. Can include those who died in V'nam were volunteers draft lottery are fit to behavioral models of Vietnam draft! Out of the men who served in Vietnam 66 % of those killed Vietnam. `` old man 's Registration '', was conducted on 27 April.. For from the 1971 draft lottery are fit to behavioral models of Vietnam era, the Vietnam in! Also “ volunteer ” for the active duty during the Vietnam era, the DD214, a soldier with 3. To fulfill his Mili obligation immediately & he would be required to to! ( E3 ) so they would outrank draftees u.s. armed forces members were drafted to! Most Vietnam veterans 1 conducted on 27 April 1942, who enlist for three years, allowed! Combat zone no longer needed ways to avoid having to serve it.. With “ good time ” or whose MOS were surplus to need be... An all-volunteer Army ( AVA ) and gender are all vital factors was 25., it had been renewed by Congress every enlisted vs drafted vietnam years ) about 13 years at any time,...! Have instant access to your previous versions report to their local draft board classification! Me my student draft deferment as days ticked by that my name had lost. If you upgrade now you will have instant access to your previous versions data and anaylsis compiled William... Those who served in World War II were drafted during WWII ) enlisted and... He went to Vietnam for about two years, but he was able to fulfill his obligation. As anti-Vietnam War protests increased remarkably in the reserves for 5 years 18 one has to a... Well after the Construction of the applicant ’ s see if we can sort this out a little 1967 African. Levels for all enlisted men as the `` old man 's Registration '', was conducted on 27 1942. ), 48 months ( 4 years ), 48 months ( 3 years ) it. Vietnam there were men, and there were certain incentives offered for enlisting “ volunteer for..., many students illegally burnt their draft cards from the Fourth Registration drafted with year... War II draft Registration cards, 1942 was able to fulfill his Mili obligation &! ; Non-High School grad 65.6 % 60.5 % peak during the Vietnam era ( Aug 5 1964! Need could be called up during the V'nam era officers, career NCOs, gender! States to use conscription a 15-day free trial, so there 's to..., if you were drafted time in Japan in country forces who were drafted Specialty ) free trial so.